Monday, August 10, 2009

Funny People - Send in the Clowns


My intent on this blog is to review the critiques of some of Americas top film critics on the popular movies in theaters now. In doing so I hope to express my own thoughts and opinions on the films. This is an ambitious venture for me. I am not classically trained as a writer nor have I ever been to film school. I am home schooled so to speak. I figure if I am going to do this I should start at the top of the food chain for critics. EBERT! The Holy Grail of criticism. My respect for him and his dedication to cinema can not be expressed in words. At least I am not able to express it, I'm sure Ebert could pen my thoughts and feeling over breakfast. On the other end of the movie review spectrum is Lisa Schwarzbaum. It should be said that I do have respect for her work. I simply tend to disagree on her reads on films.

Imagine my surprise when in researching the reviews for Judd Apatow's new film Funny People that I was more on the Schwarzbaum side of the fence. Her beef with the film seems to be centered around 2 issues. First, the films takes its self too seriously. It is neither comedy nor tragedy but an unsuccessful mis-mash of both. Second, ugly characters make for ugly movies. There are not many warm fuzzy moments in Funny People. Most of the roles are apologetically jerks. It is hard to root for anyone in this film. The issue we agree on the most is the running time. She writes:

Judd Apatow's furiously anguished — and,
 at 145 unshaped minutes, quantifiable endless — tragi-comedy about a sad showbiz clown and his ilk.

This film needed an editor. It ran close to an hour over where it needed to. The third act drags it feet and like Adam Sandler and Seth Rogan at the home of Leslie Mann it over stays its welcome.

Ebert had a generally favorable review of the movie. He thought it was sensitive material that was handled with care and honesty. A trend that is quickly becoming an Apatow trademark. Ebert even went as far as to say that it had "Adam Sandlers best performance."
The thing about "Funny People" is that it's a real movie. That means carefully written dialogue and carefully placed supporting performances.

Where Ebert missed that mark is with his remark:

George Simmons (Adam Sandler) learns and changes during his ordeal, and we empathize.

The problem is Simmons never learns his lesson. He is a jerk at the beginning of the movie, he holds tight to his nasty disposition through out the film, and if it wasn't for a throw away moment in the final moments of the movie he is a prick to the end.

There were elements of both reviews that held true to my expectations. Ebert gave a lot of credit to the supporting cast. I thought that Seth Rogans buddies (Jason Schwartzman and Jonah Hill) and his love interest (Aubrey Plaza) were brilliant and the best parts of the film. Where Miss Schwarzbaum enjoyed the performances of Sandlers former lover (Leslie Mann) and her husband (Eric Bana). They completely took me out of any reality that the film had created. They were the worst element of the picture.

To wrap things up I found Funny People to be one of the funniest 90 minutes of film I have seen this year. Unfortunately there was still another 50 minutes to fill with a dull, uninspired, sit-comesque story line. Apatow has set the bar high for himself and is redefining the romantic comedy genre. My final comment is in regards to Sandlers doctor played by Torsten Voges. He is getting a lot of attention for his performance. I found it to be adequate, but it made me long for the comedic styling of Sydney Pollack. A man who could have taken this under written part and earned a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

3.5 / 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment